Saturday, July 15, 2006

Well.....

Look at this pic mmmmmmm....what you thought this would be about how well I did at the Red Hot event....


Ok so...I could have gone broke on the very first hand I played (which was 40 minutes into the tournament...gah tough day)
Here it is the big hand: blinds at 50/100
First position raises to 400, I look down at A Q spades, I call, everyone else folds.

Flop comes A, 8, 3 rainbow. He bets out 600....I call.
Turn comes another Ace (all suits out now) he checks....I am thinking to myself...we both have trip aces...does he really have Ace King? I decide to check.
River comes a 7....he bets out a 1000...I can't throw this away...I could raise...I just call.
He flips over A 7 off for the full house.....ouch...a first position raise with ace 7 off..blah.

Half my stack is gone in that hand, I get kings and get back to 3500 and my last hand was pocket 4's vs....Q 5 off???? He hit a 5 and I was out.

Bad day...came home wanted to steam off a bit, played a 30 person 5 buck (didn't want to steam in a big game lol) turbo on full contact and ....won?? wtf lol Ya so that was fun, at least I made some profit today.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I hate to be a jerk about this - and am only providing comment - but it's easy to blame the poor hand selection of your opponent (and how he ignores position). It's red hot! No respect for position, and limpy limpy. Anyways, I think your mistake was call-call-check-call. As far as I know, check/calling will never win long-term, raise/folding will. How many players have you seen at red hot that enter the final table with virtually no stack? Weak-tight - which was your play here.

The correct pre-flop play would have been to re-raise. Worse was the post-flop call. Make your decision - find out where you stand. Raise! What is the point of calling there? You know he will bet again on the turn/river - and if you plan to call there, might as well raise instead and find out where you stand.

He didn't "suck out" on you - he played aggressively pre-flop with a pretty weak hand. And was rewarded by a river that he didn't have to pay to see.

5:00 PM  
Blogger 7Deuce said...

If I play that hand agressively, don't I go broke? I think after the flop I played it quite well, to be honest I thought he had an ace, but didn't know how strong.
You are correct though, looking back at this hand I should have re-raised him pre-flop to see where I was at.

On the flop be bets out at me, at that point I want him to, I think I have the best hand. On the turn if I re-raise him there he is going no where and I go broke when he rivers me.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

A quick question - if you think you had the best hand post-flop, wouldn't you want to raise and end it right there? And not give him the free card(s)..

Anyways, what I see a lot of at red hot is players who play a lot, but never analyze their play afterwards. I don't get it - they play 4-8 times/week, and aren't getting any better.

I parallel it to owning a boat - practicing poker isn't just playing the game. As an example, what I suggest to some of my friends who are newer to poker is to take a deck of cards, deal out the flop, and name the top five hole cards. Then the turn. Then the river.

Anyway, later!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home